Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The road less travelled

After dropping off a large load of recycling and picking up produce for the returning students I drove into Tassajara, stopping to take a few photos on the way.

In some areas the fire is still actively burning, or the firefighters are back-burning around structures.

Some areas are still untouched by the fire.

But along most of the road the fire has stripped away almost all of the vegetation revealing hidden details. This is the Church Creek trail from above.


The valleys are still full of smoke. The horizon hidden.

Tassajara felt dead to me. A ghost-town, stripped of the life that normally fills the summer months. If they can get past the road-block on Carmel Valley Road some 40 students will return today to start the clean-up and bring fresh energy to the valley.

More photos available here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone who involves with SFZC and thank you for keep updating information by Blog. When wildfire was going on, I stated that being burned Tassajara was OK as long as it was along with nature. But I was wrong, five of our friends physically saved Tassajara. Now I realized that if we put effort, everything can be achieved. If it's possible, I'd love to go back to Tassajara. Susuki Roshi stated that helping other is not really helping other people, also helping for myself.